Fassoulia - Green Beans with Ground Meat
Yield: 6 servings
1 lb. ground, lamb, beef or turkey
2 medium onions, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. crushed dried basil
1 tsp. crushed dried oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
2 lb. Fresh or frozen green beans or Italian pole beans (If using fresh green
beans, trim the ends, and cut into 1 inch pieces)
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
3 oz. tomato paste, diluted in 1 cup water or stock
1. In a nonstick skillet, brown meat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Drain any excess fat. Place meat in a bowl &
2. Using the same skillet, saute the onions in olive oil until soft and slightly brown.
3. Return the meat to the skillet with the onions. Add salt, pepper, allspice, basil, oregano, and garlic. Cover & cook 10 more
4. In a large pot, add the green beans. Pour the canned tomatoes, and the diluted tomato paste over the green beans; stir.
5. Add the meat mixture to the green beans. Mix together.
6. Bring to a gentle boil, then
cover and simmer for 1 hour, or until beans are tender. Add a little more water or stock, as needed.
7. Serve with rice or bulgur pilaf.
SPECIAL NOTE: The Fassoulia tastes even better the next day, after the flavors have a chance to intensify. Oh yes, a loaf of crusty bread goes great with this, too!
NOTE: If making this without meat, this dish can be served cold or at room temperature.